Thursday, February 16, 2006

Panic and Preparations

Well, the mad rush has begun!
We leave on Sunday.  I have been kind of hesitant about doing much to get ready too early because I didn't know if Chad would be able to go.  Then I worked almost nonstop for three weeks, between overtime at GE and working at H&R Block.  I also was undecided about whether to pay the extra for an automatic car, or just bite the bullet and take a standard again.  Last Sunday, after actually sleeping the night before, I woke up and realized that we are leaving this week, THIS Sunday, and I had better get my butt in gear and get things done!

It was actually a good thing that I hadn't decided about the car because, in the meantime, the price came down.  I did get an automatic - 102 euro, minus a 15 euro voucher that I had from my last trip (that equates to about $122, minus $20).  And the price of manuals had gone up, which makes it a bit more justifiable.  The automatic was only 20 euro more than the manual, instead of almost double, like it had been before.  Total luck!

I have reserved a parking spot at an off-site lot in Chicago (but I am hoping they will have an "inside" option).  I have marked some B&Bs in the books but have made no reservations.  I have the money set aside but haven't gotten to the bank to arrange things yet.  At home, I need to clean, get cat food, lay out cat and bird supplies, and do laundry.  I need to round up all of our paperwork (parking reservation receipt, flight info and e-tickets, passports, rental voucher).  I need to make sure all camera batteries are charged and extra AAs are ready to be packed.  My duck bag is stocked, since the China trip was so recent.

I think I should also try to get to Prompt Care tonight about my ear(s) - my left ear is feeling weird, and I suspect I might have an ear infection.  And if I do, I want to be taking care of it before I fly on Sunday!  If I need an antibiotic, it still has four days to work before then.  I'd hate to have to deal with it in Ireland.  The first time we went I developed an ear problem and came home with two ear infections.  I had spent the whole week feeling like I had water in my ears.

The weather for Sunday looks like it could be rainy.  I would like to leave here no later than 1:00, preferably around noon.  The flight is at 6:10, and we will get into Shannon at 9:00 a.m. Monday.  Our only plan at this point is to head straight south to Cork and Blarney.  I got worried that we weren't going to do anything that Chad had heard anyone talk about, and Cork is only 80 miles from the airport.

It should be an interesting experience traveling with Chad.  I can't remember that last time I spent so much time exclusively with him.  I am really excited that he gets to go, and it will be fun seeing his reactions to everything.  Mimic that he is, he's bound to come home with  an accent, too.  :-)  It took awhile to get psyched up about it, but now I can't wait to get going.  I'm going to have to keep the TV off on Saturday though, to keep from being distracted by the Olympics, which started a week ago.




No comments:

Post a Comment